Sunday, June 8, 2008

This will be a blog about where I live: Beaufort, SC. In the eight years I have lived here, I have tried to re-acquaint myself with the customs and the morality of living in the South and living with Southern U.S. history. This is a very old port town, first settled by Europeans in the sixteenth century; thus we have sections of the town known as "Spanish Point" or "Frenchtown." Because the old sections of town have evolved more than they have been treated as a concept, the town is beautiful on a human scale, and it is famous for its live oak vistas, framed by Spanish moss, looking out on the water.

I have thought quite a bit about the remnants and the present existence of segregation and racism; about the kind of sexism that treats women as ornamental; about homophobia that damages the potential conversation between gay and straight. But I am also interested in the polite society of educated and gracious people on the one hand, and the dispossessed and alienated underprivileged society on the other. In fact, I am interested in everything about this little town, including its changing demographics as it absorbed more and wealthier people in from Ohio, Wisconsin, Nova Scotia, Massachusetts, Washington State, or Arizonia.

No comments: